Monday, April 27, 2009

For the Love of the Garden

What have we been doing that is so much more important than blogging, you may ask. Many things. I am working part-time for a nursing agency. That basically means I get sent to different hospitals in the area when they have needs for an ER nurse. BJ is busy with school, as usual. Ava, of course is so cute, and will be 6 months old tomorrow. While all these elements of our lives are intriguing and terribly interesting, I will tell you about a different facet that you may not be aware of. The garden. When we first moved here to Davis, I was a little too pregnant to start a new job, so in order to fight stay-at-home and never-see-my-husband boredom, I decided to take over my neighbor's position as the Garden Chieftess (yes, that is my official title). So now I oversee about 100 15'x50' garden plots out in the back behind our apartment complex . It has been mostly fun so far getting to know my neighbors, signing people up for plots, and occasionally settling disputes and investigating veggie thefts. It cracks me up sometimes to see how different people deal with conflict-like this one guy who complained to me about veggie thefts. When he found his veggies stolen, he placed a giant sign inscribed with the following: "Don't be a miserable sinner by stealing stuff from this garden." I like that he gets right to the point.


Earlier this month we had our Garden Day, which took enough preparation to make me think I should definitely get paid. So, we rented 2 tractors, one to mow and one to plow-and I am ticked that BJ got to have all the fun driving those things around while I directed everyone else and cracked the whip if they tried to skip out early. On Garden Day, the gardeners come out and clean abandoned plots, which are full of debris such as tomato cages, carpet, rusty chairs, obscure wooden structures,...toilets. You know, pretty standard garden paraphernalia. Anyway, all in all, it has been pretty fun and in all sincerity, I am glad for this experience so that I can get to know my awesome neighbors!


Before



After.


Some of my neighbors taking a break from manual labor.


Tractor meets water pipe. My neighbor had to stand on this thing with a shovel for 1/2 hour while waiting for the water to be shut off.

BJ returning the tractors in between law classes. He even got to show off his ride to some of his classmates he passed on the way.
Ava takes a turn.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I like that he gets right to the point." You're funny. Great job, Garden Chieftess!

Marin said...

Awww those pictures are so beautiful! SHe is soo cute. I can't wait to come see you guys! I love the tractor pictures too!! I miss doing our garden in Provo. And ohh man did our garden look like the before picture you posted. It took forever to clear it out and plant it all!!! SOOO FUN!!!

Ashley Clark said...

For several years now I have wanted to have a garden. The problem is, I can't even manage to keep my window plants alive. You will have to give me all your green thumb secrets!

Might I add Becky, that you are hilarious. Who else uses garden and paraphernalia in the same sentence?

SBB said...

How cool! Sounds like fun. I'm garden chieftess, too. Just over our backyard garden, though.

Bonnie Weeks said...

That's awesome. I don't think I realized that you were over the garden plots...I thought you just had one. Do you have a garden plot too?

Chris and Devrey said...

i sooo didn't know you had a blog! now i can blog stalk you:) LOL

Kim said...

Hey Becky--

Kim Hatch here. So happy to have found your awesome blog! Your baby's adorable and your life sounds fabulous! Let me know if you want an invite to mine...klucherini@gmail.com.

Chris and Devrey said...

haha Becky that's frickin awesome...

Jo Lynn said...

So impressive!!!! We did that last year and that is such hard work! You go girl!